Drivers in Houston must contend with trucks and tractor-trailers. When accidents occur, the occupants of smaller vehicles are at a high risk of severe injury. If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a truck accident, turn to Hernandez Sunosky, LLP.
Our firm is a leading personal injury practice dedicated to holding negligent truck drivers and trucking companies accountable for harming other motorists, passengers, and pedestrians. Well-versed in the applicable federal and state truck safety laws, we have an impressive track record of success, having achieved substantial settlements and jury awards.
When you become our client, you can be confident that your case will be handled by an experienced truck accident attorney. Call us today for a free evaluation of your case.
How Hernandez Sunosky Can Help With Your Truck Accident Claim
Truck accident cases are challenging because insurance companies send investigators to accident sites to minimize the trucking company’s liability. In addition, truck accidents often involve multiple parties, including the truck driver, the trucking company, other motorists, and third parties (e.g. manufacturers, distributors). With so many moving parts, you need an attorney to handle all the details. You can trust our legal team to:
- Inspect and photograph the accident site
- Obtain and review police reports
- Identify and interview witnesses
- Subpoena the trucking company’s maintenance records
- Review the truck driver’s driving record
While many truck accident claims can be resolved through settlement negotiations, insurance companies put profits ahead of truck accident victims and attempt to deny valid claims. We know how to level the playing field and will leverage our reputation for trial-ready preparedness to win you just compensation. If the insurer refuses to honor the full value of your claim, we will take them to court.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Houston
Truck accidents don’t just happen. They are typically caused by another party’s negligence: truck drivers, trucking companies, or third parties. The leading causes of truck accidents include:
- Driver fatigue – Although federal regulations require truck drivers to adhere to mandated driving hours and rest periods, truckers are prone to fatigue. Stringent delivery schedules, compensation per mileage, and extensive long-haul travel increase the risk of drowsy driving. Both the driver and the trucking company may be liable for truck accidents caused by driver fatigue.
- Distracted driving – Truck drivers rely on GPS navigation to plot their routes and smartphones to communicate with dispatchers and other truckers, increasing the risk of distracted driving.
- Improper maintenance – Trucking companies and truck owners must maintain their vehicles and conduct routine inspections to ensure their vehicles and parts (e.g. braking systems, engines, tires, brake lights, hitch assemblies, and straps) are fully operable. Truck drivers must also inspect their vehicles prior to long hauls. In a truck accident caused by improper maintenance, the trucking company may be liable.
- Inadequate training – Trucking companies must vet their drivers, ensure they are licensed, and provide proper training. However, these companies frequently send novice truck drivers, who earn less per mile than veteran drivers, to take the wheel. These companies may be liable for any incidents caused by inexperienced and inadequately trained employees.
- Improper loading – Despite federal and state regulations governing freight weight, improper loading practices are common, making maneuvering or stopping the vehicle challenging. Improperly loaded trucks and tractor-trailers are prone to rollover and jackknife accidents, resulting in catastrophic injuries.
- Truck tire blowouts – Underinflation, overloading, speeding, poor maintenance, and road defects can cause truck tire blowouts, resulting in catastrophic injuries
In addition, truck accidents can be caused by other motorists, or road defects or debris, in which case the public agency responsible for road repairs may be liable. No matter the cause of the truck accident that led to your injuries, Hernandez Sunosky will identify the responsible party and help you obtain the financial and medical resources you need and deserve.
Common Truck Accident Injuries
Because of the size and weight of a typical commercial truck, occupants of smaller passenger vehicles are at risk of severe injuries, such as:
- Broken bones
- Head and neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Wrongful death
You can depend on our experienced Houston truck accident attorney to handle all the details of your claim so you can focus on recovering.
Let our legal team help you recover the following damages:
- Medical expenses and rehabilitative costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Permanent disability/disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If you have lost a loved one in a truck accident, our wrongful death attorneys can help you recover compensation for the loss of comfort, support, and other damages. No amount of money can replace a life, but you deserve justice and compensation to ensure your financial future.
Representing Truck Accident Victims Throughout Houston
Because Houston is a major hub for interstate commerce, accidents involving trucks and tractor-trailers are common here. At Hernandez Sunosky, LLP, we are dedicated to keeping the roads and highways safe and helping truck accident victims obtain just compensation. Contact us today to get started.
Based in Kingwood, Hernandez Sunosky LLP serves clients in Houston, Atascocita, Humble, New Caney, Porter, Pearland, and across Texas. Our experienced personal injury attorneys are here to support you in your time of need, providing the legal expertise and guidance you require to seek justice and compensation.