For many individuals relocating to a new home or office, leasing a moving truck is a more affordable option than hiring a professional moving company. Because most people have no experience driving moving trucks, accidents are common. If you or a loved one has suffered severe injuries in a moving truck accident, turn to Hernandez Sunosky, LLP.
Our firm is a leading personal injury practice representing clients in Houston. We regularly handle commercial vehicle accident claims, including those involving moving trucks. Well-versed in the applicable federal and state truck safety laws, we have the knowledge and skills to protect your rights.
When you meet with us, we will listen to your concerns and explore all your legal options. Above all, we will leverage our negotiating and trial skills to win you just compensation. Call us today to consult with an experienced Houston moving truck accident attorney.
Causes of Moving Truck Accidents
Moving truck accidents in Houston may be due to several factors, such as:
- Inexperienced drivers – Because moving truck drivers often have no experience handling large vehicles, they are not familiar with their size and weight distribution and can misjudge speed and distance.
- Distracted driving – Rental moving truck drivers may text while driving or use GPS navigation, despite state laws aimed at reducing distracted driving.
- Negligent driving – Speeding, fatigued driving, failing to obey traffic signals, and driving under the influence, can contribute to moving truck accidents. Improper turns, lane changes, and failure to signal are also examples of negligent driving.
- Truck defects – Truck leasing companies have a responsibility to conduct proper inspections of moving trucks each time they are rented. This includes checking for tire defects, brake defects, hitch and trailer issues, and other defects that could potentially cause an accident.
- Weather and road conditions – Individuals who lease moving trucks may not know how to drive a large vehicle in inclement weather. Additionally, they may not be aware of road defects such as potholes or debris, which may increase the risk of accidents.
Regardless of the cause, the moving truck accident attorneys at Hernandez Sunosky will work strategically to hold the responsible party accountable and help you obtain just compensation.
Who is liable in a moving truck accident?
Determining liability in a moving truck accident is challenging because federal and state laws limit the liability of rental companies for accidents resulting in injuries. Generally, these companies cannot be held liable for accidents caused by negligent rental drivers, unless they provided a vehicle to one of the following parties:
- An underage driver
- An unlicensed driver
- An uninsured driver
However, a rental company may be liable if the accident was due to its failure to properly maintain and inspect the vehicle. To demonstrate the truck rental company’s liability, we must obtain and review service records and verify that the vehicle was provided to a qualified driver.
If the moving truck accident was caused by driver error, we can pursue a claim with the driver’s insurance company, depending on the type of policy. If the rental company provides additional insurance to drivers, as is often the case, we can also pursue a claim against that policy. Finally, many moving truck accidents are caused by truck defects, in which case we can pursue a product liability lawsuit against the vehicle or part manufacturer.
How Hernandez Sunosky Can Help
With extensive experience handling commercial vehicle accidents, we have a proven track record of success in moving truck accident claims. Our seasoned personal injury attorneys will handle all the details, conduct an extensive investigation, and choose the best course of action.
By working with a respected network of accident reconstruction specialists, we will determine the cause of the accident and identify the responsible parties. Although many moving truck accident claims settle through negotiations, we will prepare your case for trial to achieve the best possible outcome.
Whether your claim is against the party who rented the moving truck or the truck rental company, or both, we will fight to help you recover damages for your injuries and losses. Our attorneys understand the tactics insurance companies use to deny valid claims and know how to fight back.
While no two injury claims are the same, the damages you may recover depend on factors such as the extent of your injuries and the degree of your liability. In any case, you may be entitled to economic and non-economic damages:
- Economic damages will compensate you for financial losses like medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, lost wages (present and future), and property damage.
- Non-economic damages are designed to cover intangible losses such as pain and suffering, permanent disability/disfigurement, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life.
Rest assured, we will fight for the compensation you need and deserve in and out of the courtroom.
Representing Moving Truck Accident Victims in Houston
Unlike other commercial vehicle accidents, moving truck accidents are governed by complicated negligence and insurance laws. The best way to protect your rights is to have the powerful representation Hernandez Sunosky, LLP provides. Contact us today for a free consultation.